Saturday, March 12, 2011

This & that

Some this & that stuff. I've been having sluggish computer problems lately, all indications pointing toward the pagefile/virtual memory for the problem. Checked things out and apparently somewhere along the line my virtual memory setting had been set to a custom value which, according to what I just read about it, seemed too small. So I put it back to have the system control it, also it's now set to use both drives instead of just the C: drive. So far, it seems to have done the trick. Everything is working quite smoothly now.

Also, for a long time now I've been dissatisfied with Winamp being sluggish itself. So I've been giving a new program a shot today, called MediaMonkey. I like it a lot and I think I'll switch to it rather than Winamp. I have never really liked Windows Media Player for routine mp3 listening. It seems to suck up a lot of resources.

And finally, I also came across another mp3 tag editor today which I downloaded and have tried out a little and it looks good, called MP3Tag. The old tagger program I was using is actually several years old and worked well but this one does a few more things that I like so I think I'll stick with it.

Addendum: Another thing is that I was having very "jerky" operations with any web browser (Firefox, IE, Chrome). So I did some tweaking and it looks like the problem was being caused by Java Quick Starter. I disabled it so it doesn't load on start-up, and that seems to have fixed the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment