Thursday, June 14, 2012

Whitetail buck

IMG_0750


I had to go feed the deer today, and took some photos while I was there. I think this is the best one. More at my Flickr photostream.  Also one photo of a squirrel who sneaked in to grab a couple of bites of that sweet, rich, high-protein buck feed.

I saw something today that was not able to get a photo of.  I took a walk around my dad's tank (pond for non-Texans) and spooked a young killdeer out of the grass.  He was apparently not quite able to fly.  I tried to get a shot of him, but he was too fast and wily for me.  That's the first time I've ever seen a young killdeer.

5 comments:

  1. Those deer are a lot nicer looking than my deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because they're better fed than any wild deer will ever be.

      Delete
  2. It was probably momma killdeer trying to lead you away from the nest. They are common in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of adult killdeer and this one was definitely a chick, or whatever the young ones are called. That spot has been a favorite spring nesting spot for them even before there was standing water there.

      Delete
  3. Nice shot of the deer. We don't have any whitetail around here, all of ours are mulies.

    ReplyDelete