Thursday, August 20, 2009

10 albums a day #22


Icehouse - Measure for Measure (1986, LP)
Iggy Pop - Blah-Blah-Blah (1986, LP)
Indigo Girls
- Indigo Girls (1989, CD)
- Nomads Indians Saints (1990, CD)
- Shaming of the Sun (1997, CD)
Jackson Browne
- For Everyman (1973, LP)
- Running On Empty (1977, cassette)
Janis Joplin - Greatest Hits (1973, CD)
The Jaye Consort - Medieval Music (1978, LP)

I was working the delivery/pickup kitchen at the Mr. Gatti's in San Marcos in 1989 and listening to KLBJ on the radio when I heard "Closer to Fine" for the first time, and I was hooked. Indigo Girls had one album before the eponymous one, but I've never heard it. That eponymous album is still one of my overall favorite albums.

Running On Empty is another of my favorite road albums. I'm surprised I was still able to get a listenable copy of that tape when I ripped it. It should have worn out a long time ago.

I already had that Janis Joplin album on LP, but I kept hearing my daughter trying to sing along with some of her pseudo-country/pop CDs (very small collection, maybe 5 or 6 all total), and I kept telling her she needed to belt it out and quit sounding like a meek little mouse. One day when I had stopped by W**-M*** to pick up a few groceries, I bought this CD, sort of a whim. When I got home I gave it to her and told her to listen to it carefully and study it. "When I told you to belt it out, this is what I meant." So far it hasn't worked. She can hit all the right notes, but she still sounds like a mouse.

The Jaye Consort album may not seem to fit into the general collection, but I like this kind of music so much that I put it there so it would have an equal chance to turn up in the random shuffle.

Next I'll start on my relatively small jazz collection.

Album count: 212.

No comments:

Post a Comment