Friday, April 29, 2005

Something in the water

I swear, sometimes it seems like we have a little mucal clump of California right in our own state (Austin, that is), and whatever is wrong with that place, it seems to be infectious. Send a rep there and all of a sudden he/she goes downright fruit-loopy. This bill would change our state law so that anyone with an "identity document" from a foriegn country can get a driver's license.

Bullsquat. Anyone who still remembers 9/11 (some people have obviously forgotten) should know that handing out DL's willy-nilly is a big mistake.

During my brief stint as a trucker, I had a load that was going from Washington (state) to Edmonton, Alberta. The Canadian border guys gave me all kinds of hell because I wasn't carrying my birth certificate. It took them about three hours of phone calls to verify my birth records. And this was after they had opened the truck and verified that I was only carrying 33,000 pounds of pulp rolls.

Why don't they just disband the Border Patrol, build a couple hundred more bridges, and get it over with?

The border cops in Vancouver also confiscated my pepper spray. Apparently it's a "dangerous offensive weapon" up there. While being grilled about it, I was asked, "What are you doing with this, anyway?" He really wanted to nail me for something, I guess. I asked, "Have you ever walked across a truck stop in the middle of the night to use the bathroom?" You can't even get out to do an early-morning tire check in OKC without beating the lot lizards off with a stick, fortheluvva...

Good thing they didn't find the stun gun.

tnx to Down Deep In Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment