Friday, May 20, 2005

Friday Night Ramble 5/20/05

I spent only one day delivering notices this week, all to apartments. Apartment delivery can be somewhat grueling, especially when said apartment complexes seem to have been designed by M.C. Escher. Driving around for 6 hours in the Fredricksburg Road/Medical Drive area is bad. It's bad just driving through it to get somewhere else. Being stuck there all day is terrible.

The rest of the week was meter reading, mostly not too bad. Today was especially light, since I was assigned only a half-route. The only bad part about today was the heat. It's getting to be that time of the year, and it's not even really bad yet.

But enough of that. This afternoon I saw an old movie that I hadn't seen in probably 20 years or more: Defiance. This is a 1980 film starring Jan-Michael Vincent, with some other familiar faces in Danny Aiello, Theresa Saldana and Art Carney (and maybe a few others I don't recognize). This was Vincent in his pre-Airwolf days, and I don't know, maybe this is the best role of his career. I was sad to see him self-destruct and pretty much disappear, and I would still like to see him land more of a major role in a decent movie. I've always like this kind of movie. I never get tired of seeing movies in which someone righteously beats the snot out of a bunch of worthless punks. I also get a kick from being reminded of things that are uniquely in that time, like handbills advertising a Pablo Cruise concert. But my question is: How did that bad-guy gang leader get his hands on a Luger? Now, I know, it is a usual movie stunt to have a bad guy use a Luger (or a broomhandle Mauser), but that would be more expected from a movie set in 1950 than 1980. Just seems kind of odd, to me.

I don't have much to ramble on about tonight. Everyone else has covered Newsweekgate and the latest Star Wars movie quite thoroughly. But I will say that I will never think of Darth Vader in the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment