Saturday, June 04, 2005

But if I uninstall it, is that desecration?

Back during the 80's and into the early 90's, there were several used book stores that I frequented, buying all kinds of odd stuff that I knew I'd never have use for but someday may want to use as references for...I don't know, something. One day I bought an old, dog-eared Koran for what, fifty cents, I guess, it's hard to remember exactly. Within a few days of 9/11 I was looking for it, thinking that its time of reference had come.

I couldn't find it.

I know it still has to be here somewhere, but where, I don't know. It seems to have disappeared.

So I jumped right on the Internet and Googled up "get your free Koran." I didn't know if it was possible, but I didn't think it unlikely. Back then there were very few places that were handing out Korans for free, but I found one. I don't remember the name of the group now, but I do recall it was from an Islamic group in Houston. I sent them my name and address by email, and within a few days, received my Koran and some other literature in the mail. Nothing untoward (that I know of) has ever happened because of my giving out my postal address.

Now the entire "blogosphere," it seems, is abuzz with the news that you can get a free Koran from CAIR (the Council on American-Islamic Relations). Apparently this particular edition includes some anti-Semitic extras. I don't know anything about that.

But unlike those days immediately after 9/11, you can now get your free Koran from all kinds of places (just Google "free Koran"). Not only that, but there are several places you can download a software version of said tome.

But I don't want to offend anyone. I suppose the installation file itself is holy, and transferring the data over a phone line that has also downloaded pictures of scantily-clad vampire chicks in years past would be desecration. Those pictures no longer exist on this computer, but I've had this machine for a long time. What if I install this software and some of the data accidentally occupies a sector that was once occupied by a picture of Elvira? Or even Gillian Anderson? Would that be desecration? And if I go so far as to install it, and then decide to uninstall it, I shudder to think of the repercussions if that ever got publicized.

And what if I accidentally take my paperback copy out back, nail it to a tree, and shoot it to pieces with a .45?

The whole thing is a crock. A complete, unmitigated, crock.

(Pardon the attitude. Or not. I'm feeling extra sarcastic today).

No comments:

Post a Comment