Thursday, September 01, 2005

An affordable left-handed bolt action

I've always wished I could get my hands on a left-handed bolt action, but every one I ever saw was way too expensive for me to even dream about. Well, I just discovered that Savage has a whole slew of left-handed bolts in all sorts of calibers. Here's a picture of a right-handed version (I wish they put pictures of the lefties on their website).



That's the Model 11FL. Varying by model, these come with either synthetic or wooden stocks, with or without open sights, all are drilled and tapped for a scope, and they have package models with a scope already installed and bore-sighted.

The Savage Arms Hunter Series Model 11FL has a MSRP of $486, ranging up to $539 for models with a scope already installed. That funny-looking trigger is because they all come with Savage's Accu-Trigger, which is a user-adjustable trigger that doesn't require a gunsmith.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but boy, am I happy I just discovered this! I'm kind of behind the curve on this one. They were all introduced several years ago.

Now my only problem is deciding on a caliber. I've got it narrowed down to either .270 or .308.

I gotta confess, I don't actually own a gun that's really suitable for deer or other large game hunting. My dad has two, and I always just borrow his .243 (also a Savage, by the way, a Model 99E). I think it would nice to own one of my own. I mean, it sounds like a good reason to buy one, to me.

UPDATE: 09/02/05 9:34PM -- Tonight Guns & Ammo TV (on the Outdoor Channel) had Craig Boddington going through the Savage factory and seeing step-by-step how they make one of these lefties. I'm hooked. In .308, I think. A note to Savage: set up a left-handed test bench, for goodness sake.

Submitted to Carnival of Cordite.

1 comment:

  1. Since when does one need a reason to buy a gun? Let me know how it shoots, I've been thinking about getting one of those savages.. in right hand though.

    ReplyDelete