Friday, September 09, 2005

Unexpected (dumb) questions

I awakened from a bizarre nightmare about 30 minutes ago and have given up on sleep. Nothing better to do, so...

Yesterday as I was parking the company truck and locking up the yard, a man drove up and asked me two questions. The second question was "how do I get to Seaworld?" This is not an unreasonable question. Now, I am not the best person to ask for directions in San Antonio. I have never lived there, and although I've worked there for some time, I still find my way around quickly only because I carry a Mapsco mapbook. Fortunately, I had been reading meters in the shadow of Seaworld that morning, so it was easy to tell him how to get there. No, it was his first question that momentarily threw me: "Is this San Antonio, Texas?"

I'd say that just about beats my previous best dumb question(s), which were asked by a woman in an Exxon station on IH35 as I was buying a drink one day. Her questions started well enough, and rapidly got worse:
"Which highway do I take to get to Dallas?"
"That one right there, 35," I answered.
(then it started to go downhill)
"Which way?"
"North."
"Which way is north?"
"That way."

No comments:

Post a Comment