Saturday, October 01, 2005

Gun Show Today

It was gun show day today. I went looking only for two specific items, one of which I actually found--moon clips for a Model 1917 Colt revolver. The other item was the gun I intend to buy next, of which there were none. I guess I'll have to go to a store.

I took my daughter along with me, and at one point I heard her squeal, "Daddy, get this one!" She was pointing to one of these. It looked really sweet, but I already have one gun budgeted and I don't allow myself any major purchases until I find it.

The Pager Pal guy is still there flogging his wares, and apparently violating any number of laws. I only mention him because this time I guess I wasn't moving fast enough when I went past, and he came at me like a carnival barker. Let me tell you something. I spent about 10 years as a pager repair tech, so I know a little about pagers (though just about nothing about pager models from the past few years--I remain blissfully and willfully ignorant of them these days). The Pager Pal holsters are "disguised" with fake pagers that have been obsolete for years now. If I saw anyone with a Bravo Plus pager on their belt I would immediately wonder what in the heck they are doing carrying such an old pager, and I would even be tempted to ask them if it still works and if they've had to have it repaired recently, and if so, where did they find someone who still knew how to work on it. If I started using one of these, everyone who knows me would want to know why I thought I had to start carrying a pager all the time when I already have a cell phone. It may have been a good idea several years ago, but I think its time has passed.

As for the part about violating any number of laws, the guy demonstrated the holster for me. And he wasn't using a dummy gun. There is a 30.06 Sign at the door which, by Texas law, prohibits carrying a concealed handgun into the building. Although I can't quote section and subsection, I'm pretty sure there are laws about drawing a concealed handgun in public without a very good reason. I did like his pistol, though. It was one of those sub-compact Para Ordnance .45's.

The other item I was looking for I'm not saying much more about until I get it.

And I really need to get a new C&R license so I can one of those cheap SKS's. I really want one of those. Delivered right to my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment