Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ye Dreaded Seven Wonders Meme

Josh at South Park Pundit was kind enough to curse tag me for this meme. I don't normally voluntarily do this kind of thing, but since he tagged me I guess I'll play along as best I can. I've said on this blog before that I'm really a very boring sort of person, so don't expect much. (I've learned there's a fine line between appearing to be very boring and appearing to be a closet psycho).

Seven things to do before I die
Build my own personal shooting range on my own property
Hunt American bison with a single-shot, open sight, .45-70
Buy an RV and travel all over the country, avoiding major highways
See Canada's Jasper National Park in the summertime
Mysteriously leave a six-pack of Big Red at that truck stop in Sicamous, B.C.
Lay two shiny pennies on Billy Bonnie's grave
Publish a novel combining elements of westerns, horror, and fantasy

Seven things I cannot do
Ride a skateboard
Refrain from pointing out the crass stupidity that surrounds me
Watch anything on Lifetime except for "The Nanny" reruns
Avoid reading every written word I see (I don't know if there's a technical term for it, but I am a compulsive reader--billboards, signs, ingredient lists, movie credits, fine print on anything--I must read it)
Find a job that I don't end up hating
Overcome an odd fear of amphibians
Spend more than one day loading watermelons (did it once--never again--now that's hard work)

Seven things that attract me to the outdoors
Wide open skies
Starry nights
Rain on my face
Solitude
Huge, ancient, shady live oaks
Hunting
Fishing

Seven things I say most often
(I spend way too much time driving on the job, so...)
You dumb@ss.
Why don't you just drive like a complete idiot and get it over with.
Target! (anytime a car with thumpers drives by)
No. No no no no no. (two small kids)
That's because you're an idiot. (usually spoken to the radio--I listen to NPR a lot)
Sweet!
Gosh!

Seven books (or series) that I love
The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft
The complete works of Edgar Allen Poe
Lord of the Rings
The Valis Trilogy and anything by Philip K. Dick
The Illuminatus! Trilogy and various others by Robert Anton Wilson
The Amber series by Roger Zelazny
Any Philip Marlowe stories by Raymond Chandler
UPDATE: Bonus #8 -- How could I forget Tom Sawyer?! I grew up on that book.

Seven movies I watch over and over again (or would if I had time)
Blazing Saddles
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Murder By Death
The Ninth Configuration
High Plains Drifter (and almost anything with Clint Eastwood except those "Any Which Way" movies)
Monty Python (any movie and the TV series--I can and I have)
Anything with Rutger Hauer (except Ladyhawke--yeesh)
UPDATE: Bonus #8 -- A Clockwork Orange (I have also read the book many times)

Seven people I want to join in, too.
If you read this and want to join in, have at it. On the "attracted to" category, you get to pick what you're attracted to.

(If anyone knows where the "Billy Bonnie" reference came from, please tell me. It's been so long since I've heard the song that I've forgotten the singer and song title.)