Thursday, January 17, 2008

As cold as a witch's thorax

That's what a school friend of mine used to say many years ago. It wasn't so bad as long as I was out of the wind, but man, some of those streets were like wind tunnels. Until about 9:00 this morning I was down-right uncomfortable.

So I'm not going to stay up reading blogs today, and forget about me trying to post something worth-while. I'm going to bed and read for a while, or possibly watch a movie.

Last night I noticed a book on the shelves that I hadn't read in a long time. It was Raymond Chandler: Four Complete Philip Marlowe Novels. The first time I read this book, I read only the first three novels. I was reluctant to read the last one, because I knew that once I read it, it wouldn't be new to me anymore. After several more months passed, I finally read it. This will now be my third trip through this book.

I'm going to have to hunt down more stuff by Chandler, and probably branch off into some other writers of the "hard-boiled detective fiction" genre like Dashiell Hammett. Oh yeah, this is also why I recently added Hardboiled Cthulhu to my Amazon wish list. I like the wish list idea. It makes it easy for me to remember what I want to buy. I know this collection will not be up to the same quality as Chandler, but it should be fun.

Chandler was a master of the descriptive phrase. Maybe I'll post some Chandlerisms now and then just for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Ever read Shadow over Baker Street? It was a collection of stories with a Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft theme. Had some good stories, some so-so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of it, but I've never read it.

    ReplyDelete