Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."


I don't know who said that, but it's a quote I've always remembered. It was brought to mind today when I discovered another CD I had missed when doing some ripping recently: Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother.

This album always reminds me of something from when I was attending college at what was then Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason had recently been released, and the so-called music critic of the school's newspaper wrote a "critique" of it. First he said that he had listening to this album only once, while at a friend's house during a party(!?). Then he went on to mention two previous albums. One he called "Medal", which it isn't, it's Meddle. Then he said the title track took up all of Side 1. No such thing. The track to which he was referring is actually titled "Echoes," and it takes up all of Side 2. Then he referred to "Adam Heart's Mother." He was so obviously and egregiously ignorant that I never read another word he wrote again.

This album holds a special place in my heart because of the final track: "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast."

No comments:

Post a Comment