Thursday, April 16, 2009

Almost got rained on

This week has been too busy with kid activities at night. Today is the first time I've had the chance to do much of anything but eat and shower before we were gone again. And it's that time of the month when I have the worst routes and was completely worn out by the end of yesterday. As a result, I was in a daze and forgot all my gear at the office yesterday and didn't realize it until I got out to my route this morning and realized I didn't have the required tools.

Well, I figured I could go one day without gloves or the tube*, but no hook? So I broke out the back-up hook that's in my toolbox. It's actually a latch hook that I bought when I was truck driving, and which I had chewed the end with a Dremel to get it in better shape for hooking meter lids. It wasn't what I was used to, but thank goodness, it worked. It's made of anodized aluminum, so it's very light. I need to work on it more to get the hook shaped better, but I think I'll use it more often now that I know it works. I won't use it in alleys, because I need the heavy hook for bashing brush, but it should be better for motor routes because it's lighter and shorter and should be easier to wield while jumping in and out of the truck.

Also, it's purple.

*The tube is a plasic tube with one closed end about 2 inches in diameter and about 18 inches long. It's used to stick down in a meter box that is flooded due to a leak, rain or sprinklers. You put the closed end right down on top of the meter face so you can read it better. Also you can turn it upside down and cover a sprinkler head with it so you don't get sprayed while reading a nearby meter. Maybe sometime I'll take some pix of the tools I use. That will be good for at least one blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment