Saturday, May 30, 2009

Unknown snake


Here's a little guy that I surprised when I popped off a lid last week. I pulled the whole plate off so I could get a picture, but the sun was causing such a bad glare that the phone couldn't handle the contrast, so it didn't come out too well. I've never seen one like this before. Usually the snakes I find are the checkered garter snake, in fact I saw one just yesterday that was about a foot long. The one in this photo was about 2 feet long, with a yellowish-beige stripe down the middle of his back. I'm pretty sure he wasn't venomous, but he was very aggressive. He began striking at the hook as soon as I stuck it in the box to knock the dirt off the meter. The checkered garter snakes never do that.

1 comment:

  1. I used to pull up covers to find toads. Too bad I never found a snake.. that would have been much cooler.

    ReplyDelete