Sunday, January 09, 2011

Wolverines!

I was going to try posting another album commentary (can't bring myself to call them "reviews") but I got sidetracked so I'll try it tomorrow. I got several albums from a friend who shall remain nameless here but you know who you are and thanks again--I'll be writing some posts up about them soon.

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and happened across their big...what do you call that thing? It looks like a cage, but without a top, and it stands about 4 feet tall and is about 6 feet on a side and it's so full of DVDs they're about to cascade out onto the floor. Anyway they had all these DVDs for $5 each so I perused them for a while and came away with two that I think will be pretty good. One is a collection of several horror films from the 60s. I was quite amused when it was rung up and beeped for the cashier to make sure the buyer was over 18 years old. The other is a collection of Alfred Hitchcock pieces, some episodes from his TV series and some movies. I think they'll both be pretty good, although I'm afraid the horror collection will generally seem quite hokey--I'm not familiar with any of the movies (on first glance) except for the original Night of the Living Dead which I've seen before. Many years ago, at a Christmas party at the pizza restaurant, a co-worker gave me a double-feature VHS tape of that movie along with Reefer Madness.

I was just looking at that film's entry at Wikipedia, and because I typed in an error I came up with a list that has revealed to me that Red Dawn is being remade. Good grief. This time it's going to be a Chinese invasion in the Pacific Northwest. Yeesh. One of the main characters is to be portrayed by Josh Peck, who you may remember as a child star on several Nickelodeon shows such as The Amanda Show and Drake & Josh. Or, if you don't have any kids who ever watched those shows, maybe you don't remember him--which may be a blessing. I'll be forced to watch it just to see how he looks now. I'm pretty sure it's going to be weird watching him in a dramatic role.

I have been becoming more familiar than I would ever have expected with the world of Percy Jackson. The books are quite the mish-mash of Greek mythology, but it's gotten my son interested in Greek mythology so I can't find too much fault with it. I've been looking around on Amazon for some good Greek myth books written for kids. The only book I have on them now is the classic Bulfinch's Mythology, but I never liked that book much because it's too much a combination of tales and commentary, with not enough tales. Also Bulfinch had a terrible habit of mixing Greek and Roman names together which I think is too confusing for a beginner. I read all the myths from library books when I was in elementary and I still wish I had those books now. At one point I even created a large poster-sized family tree of the gods which--get this--was stolen. I couldn't believe somebody would actually steal such a thing, but it happened.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up on D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, and it was my introduction to the overall mythology. I haven't read the book in decades, literally, but I seem to remember that it was a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the remake of Red Dawn, and I'm kinda looking forward to it. The Chinese have already grumbled about being made the bad guys this time, fearing a anti-China backlash (like folks will be able to completely boycott Wal-Mart!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic book for mythology is Mythololgy by Edith Hamilton; it was one of my favorites as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt: Who else could we make the bad guy out of? Cuba? (hee hee)

    Bob: THAT is the book I was trying to remember.

    ReplyDelete