Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I am a quiet person

And as such, I would very much like it if everyone else would read this: 6 Misleading Assumptions You Make About Quiet People.

One common definition of the introvert/extrovert divide is that extroverts gain energy from being around people, whereas introverts spend energy when hanging around people. So parties make introverts tired, even if they like everyone there and are having a good time.

I cannot overemphasize how true this statement is.

Most of you who read this blog have never met me in person.  Those of you who have know that once I become familiar with you and find we have common interests, I can be quite talkative.  But I can handle other people only in small doses; being in a group with many people is very wearying for me.  I think it's because I want to see and hear so much that I become tired through excessive perceiving.

So if you ever see me sitting quietly, watching and listening to everything that is going on around me but saying nothing, I just want you to know it doesn't mean I hate you.  It doesn't mean I'm socially crippled and want desperately to join in.

It only means I am measuring up your weaknesses. Heh.  Just kidding.

2 comments:

  1. I used to hang out with a guy exactly like that. To people who just met him or knew him for only a short time, they thought he was quiet, shy, and introverted. Especially at parties.

    But I knew better.

    He was one of the funniest people I've ever had the pleasure to know. And, once he got to know you -- and after a few beers -- you really couldn't shut him up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albatross and I have never met, so I know he isn't describing me!

    ReplyDelete