Tuesday, November 15, 2011

CD on the way out?

Interesting article at Daily Finance.  Major music labels are unofficially saying the CD will be phased out in only a year?  Seems too fast, to me.  If so, I hope they begin packaging "digital booklets" with their downloads.  I'd rather have a paper booklet, but a digital one will be better than nothing.  I also hope more major digital retailers begin offering FLAC as a file format option.

I'm not snobby enough to have anything against the mp3, but when I buy a download album and then discover it's in only 256 kpbs, it kinda pisses me off.

I mean, I re-encode high bitrate mp3s that I plan on putting on my phone/mp3 player to a lower bitrate just so I can cram more on there, but the audio produced by these gadgets isn't good enough to bother with high bit rates anyway.  But I still want the original high bit rate files for my home system, and if I pay full album price, I think it's not unreasonable to expect at least 320 kbps.

No comments:

Post a Comment