Monday, February 25, 2013

The new machine

This may of interest of San Antonio locals.  I got this thing at PC Outlet, which sells refurbished Dells.  It's kind of hard to explain where it is, but you get on IH10, take the 410 east exit, then take the Vance Jackson exit, but go past Vance Jackson on the access road.  It's in the back corner of a big strip mall before you get to Jackson-Keller.  I only know about it because I read their water meter every month.

I got the computer for $99.  It has 1 gig of RAM, a 3 GHz microprocessor and a 80 gig hard drive.  It also has a DVD/RW which is cool if I want to burn DVDs someday.  The really odd thing is, it also has a 3.5" floppy drive.  I haven't owned a computer with one of those in several years.  I almost wish I had something I needed to put on there from a floppy just so I'd have an excuse to use it.  I got a monitor for $67 at the same place.  The only thing I don't like is the keyboard that I bought because it feels really squishy.  I'm going to have to get a different one.  It was only $9, so I don't feel too bad about it.  It can still serve as a backup in case the kids destroy theirs by spilling something in it.

This is the second computer I've gotten from them and I'm happy with both of them.  They have hotter machines than this one, ranging up to $199 or so.  On the other hand, I think their refurbished laptops are overpriced for what they are, and I wouldn't get one there.  But their desktops (and towers) are certainly nice for the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment