Thursday, April 25, 2013

I don't know if this should make me proud or not

My son is a Doomer.  I think it's kinda cool that kids can still be fascinated by a game as old as Doom, but then it was and is one of the greatest games of all time.  I had installed Doom 2 for him to play, but I had misplaced my Doom (original) CD.

The other day I found it, when I was looking for something else, of course.

So I installed it for him, and also handed him a CD that I bought many years ago that has lots of pwads* on it.  He fired one up and I immediately noticed that he wasn't going to get any armor.  I warned him about that.  "I know," he said, as if this were obvious, "it's called Blood Red, Daddy."

He proceeded to blast his way through on HMP (Hurt Me Plenty, or the third level of difficulty) and finished with 147% health.  Good grief.  I don't think I could have ever done that well.

P.S.  If you ever want to fire Doom up on a modern computer, download a tool called ZDoom.  It will make the game run as smoothly as if you were on a fast old DOS machine.



*In Doom parlance, a pwad is a wad** that was created by a player, not by ID Games.

**A wad is a file that contains all the information for a certain level or levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment