Saturday, August 08, 2009

10 albums a day #12


Chet Atkins - Teen Scene (1963, LP)
The Chieftains - Another Country (1992, CD)
The Church - Gold Afternoon Fix (1990, CD)
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead (1984, LP)
City of Glasgow Police Pipe Band - Scottish Pipe Band Music (1970, LP)
The Clash - The Clash (1979, cassette)
Cowboy Junkies - The Caution Horses (1990, cassette)
Cream - Disraeli Gears (1967, CD)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Down on the Corner (1991, cassette)

I first heard of the Chieftains years ago when I used to listen to NPR's Thistle & Shamrock Celtic music program all the time. This was the only CD they had at the store at the time. It's a good album, but it's not representative of their more traditional stuff. This one has collaborations with various American country artists, as you can see from the names on the cover. I never went out of my way to hunt down anything else, but I would not be against getting more of their stuff.

Gold Afternoon Fix is my only album from The Church. I like it, but I've never gotten around to getting anything else by them. The Clash tape is the only thing I have from them. Never got into that stuff much, just bought the tape one day out of curiosity. I bought the Cream CD because at the time it seemed that I kept reading references to it as one of the great influential albums in rock history. I guess it is, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desert island with it.

Album count: 119.

1 comment:

  1. I was introduced to The Chieftains from their collaboration with Van Morrison, Irish Heartbeat, which is a great album. I've got about 6 or 7 of their albums now; I think they do some of their best work backing up other artists. They have a cover of "Dark As A Dungeon" that's the greatest.

    ReplyDelete