Wednesday, August 26, 2009

10 albums a day #27


Passport - Man in the Mirror (1983, LP)
Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group
- American Garage (1980, cassette)
- Offramp (1982, CD)
- Still Life (Talking) (1987, CD)
- Question and Answer (1989, CD)
- Secret Story (1992, CD)
Stanley Turrentine - Sugar (1970, CD)
Teresa Brewer and the Dixieland Band (1959, LP)
Thomas Jefferson and His Dixieland All Stars - If I Could Be With You (1974, LP)
Various Artists - First Class Jazz (1984, CD)

Pat Metheny is another of my favorites, although he is sneered at by many jazz fans because he uses those newfangled electronics to produce some sounds. I have everything with him on it grouped together, but these albums aren't technically all the same. The first three are from Pat Metheny Group. Question and Answer is a collaboration with Dave Holland (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums). Metheny himself plays electric guitars and guitar synthesizers, and sometimes plays a thing called the Pikasso guitar which is sort of a harp/guitar hybrid with three necks and 42 strings. Secret Story is a leader album (that is, he composed almost all the music and was in charge of the whole thing). The first one I bought was Still Life (Talking) and I used to listen to it over and over. It's still one of my favorites. I have several more of his albums in my yourmusic.com queue.

Stanley Turrentine is a tenor saxophonist and this is the only leader album I have of his. He is accompanied by several other musicians on guitar, trumpet, flute, organ, electric piano, bass and drums. He was also the tenor sax player on Jimmy Smith's Back at the Chicken Shack.

Album count: 264.

No comments:

Post a Comment