Monday, June 27, 2011

The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (1983)


For some reason, this band's initial release in the States had them called "Chameleons UK," but their real name was The Chameleons. Wikipedia calls them post-punk. This is one of those albums that, if you hear something from it, you probably won't recognize it but you'll immediately think: 1980s. Or at least, early 1980s.

Back when I used to work at the pizza place and had several co-workers with whom I discussed music almost constantly, this was a group that everyone else referred to as "one of those groups Alan likes." Also included in this list was Echo and the Bunnymen, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Shriekback and The Screaming Blue Messiahs (for example). I never actually got any of the Lemon Drops' albums, just for the record. And I'm still trying to replace my worn-out-beyond-listening tape of the Messiahs' Bikini Red, which included the immortal classic "I Wanna Be a Flintstone."

Seminal 80s. They didn't have great commercial success themselves, but were influential on later bands, most of whom I've never heard of (according to Wikipedia). This was their first album and the only one I ever bought, but then, I don't remember ever seeing any of their other albums of the 80s turning up in the local record store, either.

I just finished cleaning this one up today. One track had a dull pop that I had to delete to get it to sound okay. All other tracks turned out perfect.

Available as a 25th anniversary release on CD or mp3 download. This release has more music than the original, or at least my U.S. original, with about 57 minutes of music instead of the 37 on my record.

No comments:

Post a Comment